- 5 slices brioche bread, cubed
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Garlic Powder
- Heat butter and olive oil in large soup pan.
- Sauté onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, cream, salt, red pepper flakes, celery seed, oregano, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree in batches in blender.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat to a simmer. Season to taste.
- To make croutons, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the butter in small saucepan over medium heat until the butter is golden brown.
- Remove from the heat.
- Put the bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and pour the butter over them, tossing to coat.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic, and toss again.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake until the croutons are toasted and golden, about 20-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with the croutons.
- If using canned tomatoes, opt for fire roasted tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes. This will give your soup a richer taste.
- If you wish, naturally, you can fire roast your own tomatoes!
- If you can't find Brioche, feel free to substitute with another bread, like sourdough.
- Just be sure to get a whole or very thickly sliced (2 inches) loaf.
Do you like this post?Can't view or post comments until you login.