If you wash, blow-dry, and press your hair every week or two, it's a great idea to take a break from all that heat and just rest your hair! This is something I started doing a few years ago, as an alternative to hot oil treatments. The process is easy, and perfect for the girl who hates doing her hair anyway!
- When you are ready to start your resting period, wash your hair with clarifying shampoo. In fact, wash it twice.
- Then, wash your hair a third time with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
- Afterward, add plenty of leave-in conditioner.
- Air dry, and then, blow dry. The point is to not use an excessive amount of heat.
- While your hair is still warm, add lots and lots of oil. Coconut oil is great, but so are almond and avocado oils.
- From here, you can put your hair in a bun, twists, braids, Bantu knots, or the like.
- Everyday for week or two, add a little more oil to your hair and scalp, and restyle.
- When you're ready to wash, repeat steps 1-4, and then, press.
After letting my hair rest for a couple weeks, my hair is happier and healthier when I finally wash, and ultra shiny when I press. Any dryness of my scalp and hair is gone, and breakage is exponentially reduced. So, I have made it a habit to rest my hair every other week or two, for a week or two. Try it!