Personally, I am not into the work it takes for me to remain hairless.
It’s just so tedious!
My hair is very thick and there are two to three strands growing from each follicle. I have more hair, per square inch, than most people –– from head to toe.
On top of that, my skin is very sensitive and razors irritate me the more often I shave. But, to remain hairless, I’d have to shave often because my hair grows fast!
But shaving is just so bad for my skin! So, I wax.
Over at Pink Cheeks in Sherman Oaks, CA, they are all about hair removal. I visited them, yesterday to strip my body bare.
For those of you who are considering waxing and wondering how it feels, let me be frank.
It hurts like hell.
Now, like most things that hurt like hell, the more you do it, the less it hurts but it’ll will never not hurt. Waxers recommend taking a couple Advil before getting the hair ripped out of your body from the root but I can’t imagine how that would help.
Here are a few pointers:
- The pain is sharp and fast. Try taking a deep breath and bracing yourself for each pull. It’ll hurt, put it’ll be over in a second. Literally.
- I would not recommend waxing your entire body all at once; it’ll feel like your body is going into shock. Try one body part at a time if you’re a newbie.
- The thicker and coarser your body hair, the more painful. Try Advil but, if you have been prescribed something stronger by a doctor, take that!
- Be sure to exfoliate before 24 hours beforehand. In fact, you should exfoliate everyday with exfoliating gloves to help keep your skin smooth and for a deeper clean.
- Keep an eye on your waxer and be sure he or she is not a double dipper! Clean applicators should be used for each dip into the hot wax.
- Ask around for a waxer who uses natural body wax made from refined spun honeybee’s wax and 100% Egyptian cotton muslin strips.
Ofcourse, there are other ways to remove hair –– less painful ways, I’m sure! But, if you decide to wax, good luck!
New York Times best selling author, keynote speaker and workshop leader, founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.