Kris Jenner Changed My Skin:
Kris Jenner changed the way I preserve my skin. Seriously. Yes. A middle aged white woman changed the way I preserve my skin with just three words. When asked to reveal her most vital beauty trick, Kris replied, "Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize." As she continued to explain why she relies so heavily on the proper moisturizing of her skin, it all began to make sense.
I'd been taking great care of my skin with a daily Juice Beauty routine, and utilizing one of their moisturizers as part of that routine. I was happy with skin and, at 35 years old, I'd done a great job at feeding and preserving my skin with this organic regimen, as well as a healthy diet, and impressive water intake. But, what Kris said really made me think a lot harder and more thoughtfully about my moisturizer.
Your Hands Show Your Age:
I'd always heard that a woman's age can be seen most in her hands and around 35, I began to notice thousands of little tiny lines in my hands, as well as constant dryness. After listening to Kris Jenner, I realized the two were related and that I could very easily change the look of my hands if I would take better care to moisturize them more often. So, I purchased by first tube of The Honest Company's Healing Balm and began using it religiously, carrying it everywhere I go and keeping it by my bedside when at home.
But What About My Face?
As Kris Jenner talked about moisture and how it helps stave away fine lines and wrinkles, I looked at my hands, then thought about my face. Thus far, and thanks to my constant resting bitch face, I'd managed to avoid fine lines, wrinkle, or even laugh lines. Still, in my mid-thirties, I became even more aware that I'm aging and one day, I'll be 40, then 45, 50, and so on. I began thinking about prevention and Kris Jenner made me question the effectiveness of my facial moisturizer.
Even though the Juice Beauty moisturizer I was using was good, I needed something richer and switched to their Nutrient Moisture. At $45 per 2 ounce jar, it was a pricey way to moisturize but I saw an instant change in my skin. It just drank in the extra moisture and took on a healthier, more youthful glow. This was the beginning of my quest for the perfect moisturizer.
This lead me to use Tarte's Maracuja Oil, which I instantly fell in love with. Used that and the Nutrient Moisture and the duo worked wonders for me! I began receiving compliments from complete strangers about the clarity and glow of my skin. But for $46 per 1.7 ounce bottle, the Maracuja Oil was also a pricey way to achieve the type of moisture I was looking for. And this sent me on my quest for another oil.
All About the Avocado:
A friend gave me a bottle of avocado oil several months ago and I began using it on my face and in my hair. After a couple weeks, I was impressed by the non-greasy moisture gained by the oil and began to research the benefits of using avocado oil on the skin and here's what I found:
- Protein and Fats. Avocado oil contains a high amount of proteins and unsaturated fats, both of which are strong skin agents. Avocado oil actually contains omega-3 fatty acids – those very same fatty acids as found in fish oil. Thus, not only can this oil be used as a beneficial lotion, but also as healthy cooking oil!
- Sterolin. Avocado oil is high in a substance called sterolin, which studies have shown to facilitate the softening of the skin and to reduce the incidence of age spots;
- Antioxidants. Avocado oil is rich in antioxidants, making it useful for healing sun-damaged skin. Antioxidants like vitamins A, D and E in avocado cause the skin to be suppler, and are thus particularly good for dry or aged skin.
- Lecithin and Potassium. Avocado oil contains lecithin and potassium, which are all highly beneficial for the skin as well as the hair.
- Moisturize the Skin. Avocado oil applied topically helps relieve dry and itchy skin. Once applied, avocado oil is deeply absorbed by the skin, thus making it an ideal moisturizer and skin care agent.
- Boost Scalp Health. In addition to helping clear scaly skin, it can also relieve itchy scalp symptoms. Avocado oil, when regularly applied to the scalp, can stimulate hair growth.
- Increase Collagen Production. When applied, avocado oil increases the production of collagen, which helps keep the skin plump and decreases the effects of aging.
- Treat Skin Conditions. Avocado oil is useful in the treatment of a variety of skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis.
- Others. Avocado oil facilitates the healing of wounds and burns to the skin. It also helps to relieve and heal diaper rash.
My Avocado Oil Routine:
Right now, I am keeping my facial routine very simple. There are only 2 steps in my current regimen: avocado oil and steam.
- First, I use a hot, steamy washcloth to steam my face and remove excess dirt and oil, as well as open my pours.
- Then, I apply 5 drops of avocado oil to my face and neck, paying close attention my eyes.
That's literally it. I continue to steam and oil my skin throughout the week until my nose begins to feel a little rough, which lets me know it's time to wash and exfoliate. This usually happens just once a week.
New York Times bestselling author and founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.