If I had a dollar for every time one of our readers complained about skin issues and asked how I keep my skin so clear, I'd be writing this blog post from a watch off the Amalfi Coast. Alas, I am sitting on my bestie's couch in Los Angeles, watching Shahs of Sunset, preparing to mix my weekly mask. So, with tons of questions flowing in about skincare, I figured this would be a great time to shock you with my latest skin revelation –– all your skin needs is oil, dirt, and water to get and stay clear.
The Skin Benefits of Coconut Oil:
The skin benefits of coconut oil are ridiculous. It's anti-aging, anti-viral, and moisturizing. According to Livestrong, coconut oil helps to strengthen skin tissue more deeply and eliminate dead skin cells while absorbing quickly into your skin.
Coconut oil also helps to delay the occurrence of wrinkles because it contains antioxidant Vitamin E, known to protect skin cells from damage over time. The Vitamin E found in coconut oil soothes eczema, sunburn and psoriasis, and its antiviral and antifungal benefits even help to treat bug bites.
Coconut oil contains 3 fatty acids: capric acid, lauric acid and caprylic acid. Each of these acids kill candida, a common cause of fungal infection on your skin.
How to Use Coconut Oil as a Facial Oil:
- Every morning and night, and every few hours in between, treat your face to 5-7 drops of coconut oil, being sure not to ignore your neck and décolletage. To make application easier and less messy, melt the coconut oil in a sink of warm water, and then, pour the melted oil into a dropper bottle. Naturally, you may have to melt the oil in the dropper bottle in order to use the dropper.
- Use the oil to cleanse the skin. Add 10-15 drops to the palm of your hand, rub, and apply to your face and neck. Rub and massage the skin, warming the oil. After about 30-45 seconds, apply a hot, wet washcloth to your face to remove oil and open the pores.
- While skin is still warm, spray with astringent (which we talk about below).
- Then, add 5-7 drops of oil to your skin to moisturize.
The Skin Benefits of Monty Clay:
Also known as Indian Healing and Bentonite clay, Montmorillonite clay (Monty) is a miracle worker. It heals eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis. You can add it to your bath water as a detoxifying agent, and so much more, such as:
- Detoxification of hair, skin and body both when applied topically and consumed internally
- Helps in regeneration of new, healthy skin cells and tissues
- Treats acne and prevents the formation of new acne and pimples
- Deep cleanses the pores and pulls out grime, dead cells and product buildup in the skin
- Loosens and removes blackheads and prevents them from forming
- Removes and reduces the appearance of scars, dark spots, blemishes and other damage
- Evens out the skin tone and improves complexion
- Gently exfoliates the skin by sloughing off dead cells and more
- Leaves skin feeling soft, supple and perky
- Has anti-aging properties and reduces wrinkles, fine lines, age spots
- Soothes red, irritated and itchy skin
- Reduces inflammation and swelling
- Eliminates scalp odor
- Makes hair more receptive to hair care products and treatments
- Fights excessive oiliness and greasiness
- Treats skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and rosacea
- Helps alleviate skin allergies, bug bites and pain
- Speeds up the healing of wounds
- Defrizzes hair and reduces static making your hair tamer and silkier
- Gives life to dull, lifeless hair by giving it more elasticity and bounciness
- Contains minerals which help nourish the skin and hair
How to Use Monty Clay:
You can literally do whatever you want with this clay! Depending on the needs of your skin, you can add just about anything, including but not limited to:
- milk (nut milks okay)
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon/lime juice
- witch hazel
- rose water
- facial oils (coconut, avocado, vitamin E, rose hip, etc.)
For dry skin, mix your clay with milk and honey. Also good for moisturizing is yogurt, avocado, aloe, and facial oils. For oily or pimpled skin, add fresh squeezed lime/lemon juice and/or apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, or rose water. You can also mix any of these ingredients together –– there are no rules! Mix it up in a glass or plastic dish with a plastic or wooden utensil. Do not use metal. Store leftovers in the fridge and apply atlas once a month.
The Skin Benefits of Water:
Honestly, I don't think you need me to tell you the benefits of water, but here's a few from Style Craze:
1. Water is essential to maintain the optimum skin moisture and deliver essential nutrients to the skin cells. It replenishes the skin tissue and increases its elasticity. This helps delay the appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
2. Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-ageing treatments. It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion.For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
3. Drinking enough water combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
It's the most amazing liquid on the planet, which is why there is so much of it. Everything and everyone needs water to grow and be healthy. You, my dear, need to be drinking about 3 liters of water every 24 hours. This will help keep your skin, hair, and nails healthy. Drink it. Lots of it. Period.
How to Use Water:
Other than drinking water, use water in your daily facial regimen by way of steam, witch hazel, and/or rose water. Use a steamy washcloth to cleanse and refresh your face, during and between cleansing. Use witch hazel or rose water as a spray-on astringent, both of which have their own set of amazing skin benefits.
You certainly don't need to spend a lot of money to care for your face –– the simpler and closest to nature, the better. Our planet has everything we need to take care of ourselves, and we don't need fancy lotions and potions, filled with synthetics and poisons. All we really need is dirt, oil, and water.
Be warned, however, that none of this matters is your diet isn't clean and organic, if you don't get at least 8 hours of sleep each night, drink 3 liters of water each day, exercise, or rain stress-free. Healthy skin is a part of a healthy lifestyle, and that's what The Gorgeous Girl's Guide is about!
New York Times bestselling author and founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.