Matcha Mochi Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 can coconut milk (thick and creamy - not the refrigerated kind we use for cereal)
- 1 stick of butter - melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey (and additional for drizzling at the end)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- dry roasted coconut shreds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine butter, eggs, coconut milk, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients (minus the coconut shreds) in a separate bowl, mix well until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Slowly start mixing the dry mixture into the bowl of wet mixture. Your consistency should be that of cake batter. If you feel that it is too thick, add 1/4 cup water.
- Line 9x13 inch Pyrex dish with parchment paper, so the sides are overlapping. This will be useful when pulling the Mochi cake out of the pan later on.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking dish. You can either sprinkle the coconut shreds on top now, before baking, or you can do it once the cake is out of the oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- If you have not sprinkled the coconut on prior to baking, you can do so now. If you are doing the coconut at the end, drizzle honey on top of the cake prior to topping with coconut shreds.
- Cool overnight, in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap. This will allow the cake to form the dense texture that we are know and love from Mochi.