So, I usually either make my pies from scratch, nearly scratch, or just buy them frozen. But, the other day, my local grocery store (Fresh & Easy) was giving away fresh, boxed pies prepared by their baker.
I snagged blueberry.
Naturally, a pie that has been sitting in a box for any amount of time is going to lose its luster, especially the crust. So, before I served the pie, I spruced it up a bit.
This is simple.
- Sugar (brown or white)
- Honey (instead of sugar)
- Powdered sugar (when cooled)
- Melt butter
- Spread melted butter on pie crust with basting brush
- Sprinkle sugar onto crust or spread honey with basting brush
- Place in the oven at 400º until crust is golden brown
- Place pie under broiler for 15-20 seconds for extra browning if needed
- Remove pie and let cool
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar if desired
New York Times bestselling author and founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.