- 1 ½ cups chopped peeled ginger (7 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (or ¾ cup sugar)
- 1 quart chilled seltzer/club soda/sparkling water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Simmer ginger in water in a small saucepan, partially covered for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a bowl, using a colander, cheese cloth, or kitchen towel.
- Discard ginger.
- Return mixture to saucepan, and honey and a pinch of salt.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring, until honey dissolves.
- Chill syrup in a covered jar until cold.
- Mix ginger syrup with seltzer and lime juice
- Start with ¼ cup syrup and 1 ½ teaspoons lime juice per ¾ cup seltzer, then adjust to taste.
Your simple ginger syrup doesn't have to be a thick syrup in order to work. Also, I like to use coconut LaCroix in my homemade ginger ale.
New York Times bestselling author and founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.