Well, I'm back on a natural nail journey and one of the first things I did was head to the kitchen for the garlic. Garlic has many magical powers, which include some pretty clear benefits for natural nails. So, as my family and I prepared to move into a new home, I decided to remove my acrylic nail extensions and opted for naturally short nails. The idea behind this is to avoid ruining an expensive set of acrylics or gels while opening and unpacking boxes. Now, with my nails naked, I took to an old remedy to strengthen them. Garlic.
Using garlic as a nail strengthener is as easy as chopping up one clove of garlic and slipping it into a bottle of your favorite nail treatment, letting it sit for a few days before using. Then, apply a fresh coat every day or so. For those of you, like me, who would love to have long, strong natural nails by the new year, this is a simple first step. If you're also like me, you love the versatility of nail extensions and don't want to give them up completely, though you know you should. What a conundrum!
Other Natural Ways to Grow and Strengthen Nails:
- Natural oil strengthening treatment: Almond oil is best, but all essential oils are very good for this treatment. Mix two tablespoons of almond oil with two tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Use a cotton ball to “paint” the nails and let them absorb the oil. Repeat three times per day.
- Rosemary strengthening remedy: For this recipe you’ll need two tablespoons of rosemary and a cup of water. Boil the ingredients for five minutes and remove from heat, letting it cool for a few minutes. Pour the mixture into a bowl and dip nails for 20 minutes. Repeat twice per day.
- Aloe vera revitalizing treatment: Aloe vera has many uses, as you probably already know. In this case, aloe helps to improve the condition of the nails in no time. You’ll need one tablespoon of aloe vera gel and three drops of olive oil. Mix until they are well blended. Soak a cotton ball with the mixture and smooth it onto the nails. Let it absorb, and repeat as often as you think is necessary.
- Olive oil, honey, and egg remedy: These are three highly nutritious items with excellent properties. Mix one tablespoon of olive oil, one of honey, and one egg yolk in a bowl until a smooth paste is formed. Gently massage the mixture into each nail. Leave on for a half hour and then rinse with a little water.
- “Express” solutions for nails – opt for any of these instant remedies: Soak the nails in lemon juice twice a day; rub them with a clove of garlic; apply a cotton ball soaked in decolorized iodine and allow it to dry completely; dip nails in apple cider vinegar every day, preferably before bedtime. (check out Step to Health for more ideas)
While on my latest natural nail journey, during this Q4 Clean-Up, I'll be trying atlas one of these other remedies –– after unpacking my new place, of course. And if you have a great nail journey story, please let me know in the comments! I'd love to know what worked for you on your quest for long and strong natural nails.
New York Times best selling author, keynote speaker and workshop leader, founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.