I get a lot of questions about my haircare regimen and, frankly, there isn't much of regimen at all! Generally, I just wash, condition, dry, and sometimes press. Healthy hair comes from a healthy scalp and your scalp is part of your skin, which is your body's largest organ. Treat all your organs right by putting only good things in and on your body. Also, keep it simple! Hair just needs to be clean and certain hair types may call for the addition of healthy oils but that's about it! Here is what I do:
My Simple Regimen:
- At the moment, I am washing and conditioning my hair with Acure Organic's Moroccan Aragon Moisturizing System. However, I switch between different systems depending only haircare needs and as the seasons change. I also use and love The Honest Company's Shampoo and Conditioner, and found success with Shea Moisture's Moisture Retention system.
- After washing and conditioning my hair, I apply leave-in conditioner, wrap it in a towel, and let it dry out a bit.
- When my hair is damp, I release it from the towel and let it air dry until almost dry.
- Then, I blow-dry on a warm setting, using a paddle brush to comb through the hair as I go.
- Once my hair is dry, I press it with my BaByliss Pro Nano Titanium iron. My iron is set to 375º . My hair is naturally wavy, so I only press the first few inches closest to the scalp at this heat.
- Then, I lower the iron to 300º and press the rest of my hair, using a fine toothed comb as a guide. If my ends feel dry, I rub a little bit of organic coconut oil on them before applying the iron. This helps seal and condition the ends of my hair.
- After pressing, I pile my hair high onto my head and wear it in a loose bun throughout the day and at night when I sleep. I place a silk scarf over my head at night to keep the hair in place.
- I do not press my hair every time I wash. Every other week, I blow-dry, oil my hair and scalp, then pull my hair into a loose bun.
- I do not add styling products to my hair.
- I do not add heavy oils to my hair. I little bit of organic coconut oil goes a long way. When pressing, I only apply oil to the ends.
- Healthy hair is indicative of a healthy life. Check out my simple Diet and Fitness Routine as well as my Top 5 Beauty Secrets.
- Living a clean, organic, and non-toxic lifestyle has a lot to do with the way your nails, hair, and skin behave.
- You have to eat clean and drink lots of water, and mostly water. There is no way around it.
- Check out my posts about The Honest Company to help you get started with eliminating the toxins in your home and on your body. Your skin absorbs 65% of what you put in it, that includes you scalp. Toxins in the body reek havoc on hair, skin, and nails.
- Remember, beauty is a lifestyle, not a product line. It all starts within.