As I am considering adding matcha tea to my diet, I went searching for more information about this magic green powder, and have been impressed by what I have read. So, I wanted to share some of what I have learned, and the stats that convinced me to give matcha a try.
Top 12 Benefits:
- Drinking Matcha means ingesting 100% of the tea leaf and receiving 100% of its nutrients
- Matcha has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea
- One cup of Matcha equals 10 regularly brewed cups of green tea
- Packed with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- Prevents disease
- Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
Heavy metals such as lead can be found in many plant products because it is absorbed from the soil. Not just matcha, but green tea in general, is known to absorb lead at a higher rate. It's possible that it can be higher in matcha because you are drinking the entire leaf versus steeping your tea.
The solution? Avoid tea from China. Studies have found that Chinese industrial pollution causes the leaves to have higher lead levels. I suggest getting your green tea, matcha included, only from Japan, where this is less of a problem. (Mind Body Green)
New York Times best selling author, keynote speaker and workshop leader, founder of The Gorgeous Girl's Guide, Steffans Publishing Enterprises, and Karrine & Co.