Oral Coconut Oil Pulling
Over the past month, I have been oil pulling –– something I've always wanted to do but have bene too weirded out by the thought of oil in my mouth to try. So, after a couple years of stalking articles about the process, doing my research, gathering a list of oil pulling formulas, I decided to take the leap.
Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling:
According to Dr. Axe, coconut oil pulling is one of the best ways to remove bacteria and promote healthy teeth and gums. In fact, it’s been proven to be even more effective than flossing, and it’s one of the best ways to naturally whiten your teeth.
Used primarily in Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling — known as gandusha in Ayurveda — specifically coconut oil pulling, is a fantastic oral detoxification procedure that’s simply done by swishing a tablespoon of oil (typically coconut oil, olive or sesame oil) in your mouth for 10–20 minutes.
Oil pulling works by cleaning (detoxifying) the oral cavity in a similar way that soap cleans dirty dishes. It literally sucks the dirt (toxins) out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment that contributes to the proper flow of dental liquid that’s needed to prevent cavities and disease. Oil pulling also:
- Treats tooth decay
- Kills bad breath
- Heals bleeding gums
- Prevents heart disease
- Reduces inflammation
- Whitens teeth
- Soothes throat dryness
- Prevents cavities
- Heals cracked lips
- Boosts the immune system
- Improves acne
- Strengthen gums and jaws
How to Do It:
- The best time to oil pull is first thing in the morning right after you get out of bed.
- Swish 1–2 tablespoons of coconut in your mouth for 20 minutes, during your morning routine.
- Immediately after, rinse your mouth with warm water. Use salt water for added antimicrobial properties.
- DO NOT to swallow the oil.
- DO NOT spit the oil in the sink, because it WILL coagulate and clog your drains! Spit it out in the trash.
- Brush your teeth as normal with a natural toothpaste, like Schmidt's Activated Charcoal paste. (Promo Code THEG3)
- I recommend oil pulling 3-4 times per week.
How Oral Health Affects Overall Health:
According to Dr. Eric Z, an estimated 80% of disease symptoms are caused by problems in the mouth, and millions are exposed to disease-promoting dental procedures every day! Oral health is one of the most overlooked health issues in conventional and integrative medicine, yet experts claim that…
- It's possible to reverse cancer by properly eliminating oral infections
- 90% of all heart attacks are caused by oral pathogens
- Autoimmune disorders can be resolved by getting rid of toxic dental materials
- Reversing gum disease can help you get rid of digestive problems
- Root canal procedures increase your risk of cancer and other degenerative diseases
Over the past month, I have actually really enjoyed oil pulling, especially since following it with the activated charcoal toothpaste. I teeth have whitened and my mouth feels fresh and clean all day, even after meals. I also find it refreshing to use essential oils during the process. Here are some recommendations.
- Add 1 drop of clove, orange, lemon, and peppermint essential oils to 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add 1 drop of clove, oregano, and tea tree as a homeopathic remedy for infection and to help heal cavities.
Happy pulling, Gorgeous!