After a steady diet of sugar and dairy during a month-long weight gain regimen, it's time to get my body back on track by returning to my regular diet and exercise program. While doing that, however, I also have to detox and the most inexpensive and one of the most natural ways to do this is with lemon water. Isn't that simple?
What Does Lemon Water Do?
- Balance pH: Lemon juice is a natural alkalizer. Eating all that sugar and dairy, fats and processed foods while on my weight gain mission, no doubt changed the pH balance of my body. But, now that I have gained the weight I wanted, it's time to balance back out, helping my body fight against disease, fatigue, aging, and more.
- Diuretic: Lemon juice is a natural diuretic, increasing urine flow. This helps balance the water in your body, cleanse the kidneys, and even dissolves kidney stones. This helps me remove impurities from my body and balance my increased intake of water during my cleansing period.
- Aides Digestion: Lemon juice stimulates saliva production, as well as that of digestive enzymes in the stomach. This helps process food and digesting better, helping with nutrient absorption. The citric acid in lemon juice also relieves gas and constipation. In other words, all that junk I put into my body is about to come right on out!
- Less Mucus: Lemon juice dissolved mucus in the body. This is a big one for me during this cleanse. After scarfing down 28 pints of ice cream and 18 pounds of macaroni and cheese, it's time to break down and expel the phlegm that comes from dairy.
- Fat Metabolism: Lemon juice liquifies bile for better fat metabolism. It is also high is citric acid, and vitamins B12 and B3, which helps break down fat cells. This comes in handy as I head back to the gym to build muscle mass.
- Balance Blood Sugar: Lemon juice is a good source of bioflavonoids, including quercetin, which stimulates insulin production and helps regulate blood sugar levels, which makes you feel better physically and emotionally. As I head back into the gym and out into the summer heat for daily workouts, I'm going to need my blood sugar to cooperate. Balanced blood sugar also reduces cravings, which will help me forget all about the goodness of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
- Stronger Immune System: The vitamin C and quercetin in lemon juice promote healthy immune function, and its strong antiseptic and germicidal qualities naturally ward off disease. Lemon juice also helps dissolve uric acid and other toxins.
How to Make Lemon Water:
- juice from ½ lemon (freshly squeezed)
- 1 liter water
Now, that's the simple equation, but here is how I prepare my lemon water.
- juice from 3 lemons (freshly squeezed)
- 1.5 liters of alkaline and electrolyte water
My favorite water right now is from Trader Joe's, photographed above. One large bottle of this water is 1.5 liters and just $1.29, about half the amount of other enhanced bottle waters.
Using a measuring cup and a strainer, I squeeze each lemon into the cup before transferring it into the bottle. Naturally, you will have to take a few gulps of water to make room for the lemon juice.
How Often and How Long?
During this cleanse, I will drink 1.5 liters of lemon water, every 24 hours for about a week. After that, I will drink an 8oz cup a day for as long as I want. Lemon water is a great, natural way to stay balanced and beautiful. You'll see and feel the difference in your body and in your skin. Let's detox!